Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mondrian style

Update:  I am embarrassed to realize I skipped a link - credit where credit is due!  This project is very much inspired from this project at Art Projects For Kids, one of my very favorite websites.
 
This project was inspired by art by Piet Mondrian, a 20th century Dutch artist who, in his latter years painted many pictures with names like Composition with Yellow, Blue and Red.  This worked in nicely with a 2-part lesson on the color wheel.  I used Donna Young's printables of the color wheel, with some fill-in-the-blanks I typed up for the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary colors.  Next week we plan to continue with Complimentary and Analogous colors, and warm and cool colors. I found out that I don't know how to spell "analogous."  I want to spell "analygous."



We used rulers and pencils to line off about 3 lines each way on white cardstock; then erased some of the lines to make interesting rectangles.  These were re-lined using mostly black Sharpies (all our black student markers were sort of grayish).  A few rectangles were then colored in using markers in just the primary colors - red, blue, and yellow.








3 comments:

  1. I think your cooperative teaching is such a great idea. I am a former early education teacher and you are so right about boys and art. Especially at those ages, they just seem to thrive on the creativity. Good job at helping them find that inner artist. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't be sneaky. I just love what you're doing with your class. I checked out some of your sources and what great ideas there are for anyone. You moms are doing a fantastic job with your kids. Keep up the good work!

    SG's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting right out loud, Grandma!

    ReplyDelete