Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Crafts at Gymnastics Camp - Day 3 - Recycled Jar Lanterns

These beautiful recycled glass lanterns came from an idea posted at Gingerbread snowflake.

We gathered pickle, spaghetti sauce, salsa, jelly, and other jars. 

I wrapped the wire hangers ahead of time.  Each hanger is strung with 2 or 3 beads.

The children painted just the sides with a mix of Mod Podge and food coloring.  I mixed up only blue, green, and bluegreen.  After painting, they dabbed with their brushes to give some texture. (Note: at home I painted the whole outside of the jar twice, and wired the hangers after they were completely dry)
Love the tongue-stickin' out concentration
They are cloudy while wet.





Then they dry to a clear, shiny color.


These are mostly dry.


One older girl carefully dabbed on polka dots - I like it!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea to do with the kids. I'll have to use this one.

    ReplyDelete