Tuesday, May 4, 2010

One More on Impressionism

It has been a whirlwind tour of just a few works from a few impressionists.  Last week we looked through a magnifying glass at Georges Seurat paintings.  He and others painted using a style labeled as pointellism, applying tiny dots of pure color to their canvases. 

We created our own pointellism-inspired works on 4" x 6" index cards.  Believe me, all those tiny dots take a while.  I read that Seurat took 3 years to complete his famous A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

Our projects were much less ambitious.  We "painted" an apple using markers.  We made sure the apple included some yellow, green, and purple to show variation in color as well as highlights and shadows. Like many great masterpieces, they look best at a distance.

I forgot my camera, so took no pictures as we worked.  Here is a quick look at my original apple picture, along with Earthgirl's in-class version, which turned out better than my in-class version.  In her backgound, she used Crayola's True-to-Life markers, which gave her a punch of 3 shades at once.

 If you stand across the room, you will see what I mean about the pictures looking best at a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment